Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Not About the Scales!


Scale-watching is an easy trap to fall into. When the weight reading is better than we expected, we say to ourselves, "I can have a little treat! I'm so skinny, a doughnut won't matter." But when the weight reading is elevated, the self-talk goes something like this: "I'll have to do better. I'll skip breakfast and have lemon-water for lunch, then I'll be back on target."

But it's not about the scales! The whole point of eating right is to feel right and to function right. What we don't see when we step onto the scales is what's happening on the cellular level. If I've stayed "on program" and have been eating according to the principles you'll see on this site, then I should not be concerned about a pound or two of fluctuation. Life is dynamic! My weight is not going to be static. It responds to food quantities, hormones, activity level, salt intake, and hydration. Sometimes my weight is up for a day or two, but if I continue feeding myself properly, it comes back down and stabilizes at a healthy point.

Consider the other side of the equation as well. If I am "cheating," the scales may not show it, but my body knows! The blood vessels will be scrubbing away plaque or accumulating it; pre-cancerous cells will be shrinking or multiplying; blood sugar levels will spike or level out; joints will bind or be lubricated....I could go on, but you see what I'm saying.

I try to remind myself when I look into the mirror that it's what I don't see that counts.

To your health and happiness,
Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment