- Substitute green smoothies for pop, juice and other beverages (5 minutes a day to make)
- Eat beans and legumes instead of meat and dairy (3 minutes a day to prepare)
- Consume a Hugh Maughn Gus salad every day instead of refined carbs like potatoes, breads, cereals, etc. (10 minutes to chop vegetables, 5 minutes to blend dressing)
- Add sprouts to your oatmeal, smoothie, salad, or beans (5 minutes a day to soak and rinse)
For a delicious green smoothie, toss into a blender the following healthy ingredients:
- 1-2 cups leafy green vegetables (kale, collard, spinach, cabbage, bok choy, parsley, cilantro, etc.)
- 1-2 cups fresh or frozen fruit, including bananas, berries, stone fruits (pitted), tropical fruits and sub-acid fruit (tomato, cucumber)
- enough liquid to blend (water or re-juvelac)
- 1 Tb. omega-3 seeds (hemp, chia, flax)
- any vegetable you have on hand
- optional: juice and zest from one lemon or lime
- optional: 1/2 avocado (for creaminess and satiation)
- At bedtime, put 1 or 2 cups dried beans in a large bowl with twice as much water (1 minute)
- In the morning, drain, rinse, and dump in a crock pot with twice as much fresh water as beans. Set on low for an evening meal or high for a mid-day meal (1 minute)
- Drain and season (1 minute)
Sprouting is easy!
- In the evening, put up to 1/4 cup raw grains or seeds in a container and cover with water.
- Eight to twelve hours later, dump into a sieve and rinse. Leave in the sieve on your counter.
- Every time you are fixing a meal, rinse the seeds again.
- When little "tails" appear, use or refrigerate.
To your health and happiness,