How savvy are you when it comes to nutrients and calories? Test your knowledge of nutritarian principles. Information comes from Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live.
1. The graph on the left represents:
2. We feel full when
a. our stomach reaches a certain volume
b. certain nutrient levels have been reached
c. a given weight of food has been eaten.
3. How many calories is a "typical" side salad at a restaurant with 3 tablespoons of dressing?
a. 100-200 calories
b. 200-300 calories
c. 300-400 calories
d. more than 400 calories
4. The graph on the right represents:
b. green vegetables
5. Which is most fattening per ounce?
b. coconut oil
c. olive oil
6. How does fiber benefit the body?
a. Less risk of hemorrhoids, constipation & varicose veins
b. fewer hormonal imbalances and fewer food cravings
c. Stronger immune system and more stable glucose levels
7. How many of the calories in a "typical" American diet come from produce, legumes & whole grains?
8. How many of the calories in the "typical" American diet come from fiberless food?
9. How many of the calories in the "typical" American diet come from processed carbs & extracted oils?
a. less than 40%
c. more than 60%
10. On average, how many of the calories in vegetables come from protein?
a. less than 30%
b. between 30% and 50%
c. right around 50%
11. How do phytochemicals prevent cancer?
a. By deactivating cancer-causing agents
b. By repairing damaged cells and protecting undamaged cells
c. By impeding duplication of cancer cells and inhibiting their spread
12. T or F: Protein is formed through the effect of sunlight on green plants.
13. Which has more grams of protein in a 100-calorie serving?
14. Where do the bulk of calories in steak and cheese come from?
15. What percentage of calories in 2% milk come from fat?
16. In a 100-calorie serving, which contains more cholesterol?
a. top sirloin beef
b. skinless chicken breast
c. pork tenderloin
17. Which gives you the best protection against cancer?
b. fruits and vegetables
18. Which provides the most usable calcium for your body?
b. sesame seeds
c. leafy greens
19. How many calories are added to a 100-calorie potato when you put 1 tablespoon of butter on it?
a. 50 calories
b. 75 calories
c. 100 calories
20. Which has a greater percentage of protein?
a. mother's milk
c. neither; they are the same
21. Which is a good source of Omega 3's?
22. How much protein do we really need per day?
a. 40-50 grams
b. 50-70 grams
c. 70-90 grams
23. Signs of true physiological hunger (not cravings) are:
a. headache and nausea
b. irritability and weakness
c. increased salivation and taste sensation
24. What is your chance of having artherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) if you are an American over 40?
25. Which of the following are NOT in the top 15 triggers for migraine headaches?
a. oranges and strawberries
b. chocolate and sweets
c. yeast and monosodium glutamate (MSG)
Answers: 1 b; 2 a & b; 3 c; 4 b; 5 c; 6 all of the above; 7 a; 8 a; 9 c; 10 c; 11 all of the above; 12 T; 13 c; 14 a; 15 c; 16 b; 17 b; 18 c; 19 c; 20 c; 21 all of the above; 22 a; 23 c; 24 c; 25 a